Montague, Pittman & Varnado, P.A.

MPV Law Blog

Did You Know: Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Insurance

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Do you have Uninsured Motorist Coverage or Underinsured Motorist Coverage?  If you do not, you should call your insurance carrier and ask for the coverage.  Here is why:  In many cases, a properly insured motorist is involved in a wreck with an uninsured or underinsured motorist at no fault of their own.  If the uninsured motorist is deemed at fault, the insured motorist may not have a way to recover from the other driver.  Uninsured Motorist Insurance provides protection to the insured motorist in that event by covering the damage to the vehicle and possibly any medical expenses and other damages to the driver. If your Uninsured Motorist Coverage exceeds the liability limits of the policy of the driver at fault, then your Uninsured Motorist Coverage becomes Underinsured Motorist Coverage, and you may recover part of your damage from your own company.

Example:  If Driver A, with a $25,000 limit on his liability insurance, causes an accident and Driver B’s damages including medical expenses, lost income and pain, are $100,000, Driver B may settle with Driver A’s insurance company for the full $25,000 liability limit and then receive $75,000 from his own company if he has Uninsured Motorist Coverage of at least $75,000.  Claims made under the Uninsured Motorist Coverage do not generally affect future premiums because the accident was not the fault of the insured making the Uninsured Motorist claim.

If you have protection against an uninsured or underinsured motorist, the attorneys here at Montague, Pittman, and Varnado will work with you to recover from your insurance company. 
An insured motorist must make a claim against his or her own insurance company to receive the monies from his or her Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist Coverage.  The insured motorist and his or her company may disagree on the fault of the driver or the amount of damages.  Additionally, insurance companies employ insurance adjusters who are professionally trained by the insurance company in the area of damage assessment.  The insurance adjuster will be working for the best interest of the insurance company.   Therefore, it is in the best interest of the insured motorist to seek an attorney to represent him or her in pursuing a claim against the insurance company to ensure the best possible result.

If you have a question about Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist Coverage, please contact an attorney at Montague, Pittman, and Varnado.  If you have a claim, we will work with you to determine your best course of action. 



Thank you for visiting our Blog!
Address 525 Main Street
Hattiesburg, MS 39401
Phone Phone: (601) 544-1234
Fax: (601) 544-1276